Hello everyone, welcome to my latest recipe for Gluten and Dairy Free Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Buns.
I’v had jackfruit on my list to check out for ages now and I thought what better time to create a recipe than now. A lot of you have got in touch to say they are doing Veganuary and did I have any recipes suitable for people also on a gluten free diet.
Even if you aren’t into the whole Veganuary thing it is still a fun recipe to try out.
Some cool facts about jackfruit:
- it comes from the same family as the fig and mulberry
- one tree produces 3 tonnes of jackfruit
- one jackfruit can weigh up to 55kg
- Unripened or young jackfruit has a meat like texture and can be used in savoury recipes
- Ripe jackfruit flesh is much sweeter and can be used in sweet dishes
You can buy canned young jackfruit in most Asian supermarkets and I’ve seen it recently in both Tesco and Waitrose.
Other Dinner Ideas
If you like this recipe for Gluten and Dairy Free Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Buns then you might like to try one of my other dinner recipes:
- Make a pasta bake with my Chicken & Vegetable Pasta Bake (Gluten & Dairy Free)
- Try out a risotto with Cheese and Tomato Risotto (Gluten & Dairy Free)
- Have some fish with my Salmon Kebabs (Gluten & Dairy Free)
- Have a vegetarian option with my Moroccan Pilaf (Gluten & Dairy Free)
More Recipes Please!
Like me, you also cook for other members of the family that do not require special dietary requirements. I’ve recently started another website, Fiona Cooks, that captures all of those recipes. If you want to check it out then please click on the following link: http://fionacooks.com
Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Buns (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
Drain away the brine from the jackfruit
Rinse the jackfruit and place in a bowl
Shred with two forks
Heat the olive oil in a shallow pan over a medium heat
Add in the jackfruit and stir fry for about 5 minutes
Stir in the BBQ sauce and cook for another 5 minutes
Toast the gluten free buns and fill with the BBQ sauce, dairy free cheese and spinach