serves / makes 1 ricotta cheese
10 prep time
10 mins cooking time
I’ve been experimenting in the kitchen recently trying to make some of the basic items I tend to buy. Last week I posted my recipe for homemade almond milk and this week I’m concentrating on dairy free ricotta. I made this recipe with soya milk as I found from my trials that it curdled the best of all the dairy free milks. I’m currently working on an alternative method using almonds for those of you that can’t have soya so watch out for the coming soon. I’m also working on some recipes for dairy free butter and a cashew nut cream.
Ricotta is a really versatile ingredient and I used my cheese to create both a savoury and a sweet dish. I’ll post the recipes I made using the cheese so look out for gluten and dairy free spinach and ricotta spaghetti and my gluten and dairy free chocolate orange ricotta tart.
- 1 litre soya milk
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- pinch of salt
- Place the milk and salt into a large saucepan and bring to the boil
- Remove from the heat and then pour in the vinegar
- Stir until the milk starts to curdle then cover with a lid and leave to sit for 5 minutes
- Place a sieve lined with cheesecloth over a large bowl and pour in the cheese mixture
- Rinse the vinegar from the cheese by pouring some water over the ricotta
- Leave in the fridge to drain fully overnight
- Remove from the cheesecloth and store in an airtight container
- Enjoy your ricotta