serves / makes 6
25 prep time
25 mins cooking time
I love scones, you can eat them anytime of the day, top them with loads of different things, they are easy to make and freeze well, what’s not to love! I already have a recipe on the site for scones but it contains dairy free yoghurt and egg, while they make a great scone a lot of my followers can’t eat eggs and dairy free yoghurt isn’t available at the drop of a hat.
That inspired me to start thinking about a gluten and dairy free recipe that tasted just as good but didn’t contain the yoghurt or egg. I’m also experimenting with some different flavours of scones and this recipe is my first shot away from traditional fruit scones, I hope you like the chocolate and orange combination. I enjoyed mine filled with dairy fee lemon curd to continue the zesty theme!
If you want a plain scone just remove the zest and grated chocolate or if you want a fruit scone you can add in 100g of sultanas.
- 40g dairy free spread
- 225g gluten free self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 110ml dairy free milk
- zest of one orange
- 50g dairy free chocolate, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200 oC
- In a large bowl place the self-raising flour, xanthan gum and caster sugar
- Rub in the dairy free spread until it resembles bread crumbs
- Stir through the grated chocolate and orange zest
- Add the dairy free milk
- Shape into a round about 4cms thick
- Score into 6 triangles
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes